Monday, May 9, 2011

Exam Induced Stupidity

I'm not entirely certain as to why, but every time I feel the looming doom of exams, I panic. Now, I don't stay up all night studying, or go into hyper-drive. I don't get a good night sleep, and eat a nutritious breakfast.

Nope, what I do is worse. Much, much worse.

I decide to watch something.

My senior year of high school, it was the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. I managed to watch all three in two nights. I bet you can guess how much studying I got done then.

My freshman year of college, it was 21 Jump Street. Monkey and I settled in the 12th floor TV lounge in my dorm, armed with more Taco Bell than should ever be eaten in a lifetime and watched Johnny Depp into deep into the night. I think my resulting C in Botany should have been a testament as to why that was a bad idea.

Now, it's exam time again and what am I doing? Watching Doctor Who. I've watched two episodes so far in this stupid marathon, but I want more. I don't want to go back to studying. I want to knit and mindlessly watch the television... It is really just too alluring.

Maybe I do this because I'm secretly self-loathing and I want myself to fail. Maybe watching TV shuts down my increasing panic about tests. Maybe I'm just plain boneheaded and should just live in the library until Thursday afternoon.

IMG_1440

In any case, at least this bout of insanity has prompted some productivity. I finished my Mara shawl! It's beautiful. I was worried that the ruffle wouldn't be proportionate to the garter stitch section of the shawl, but it was fine. I used Madeline Tosh Merino DK, and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed with this yarn. It's not as soft as I'd expect it to be, but I have yet to block this shawl. I bought the yarn at the DFW Fiber Fest, and the colors in the Madeline Tosh booth were absolutely stunning, and the color of this shawl perfectly matches some of my nail polish. I think it may take some serious willpower for me to not parade around in this shawl tomorrow in the ridiculous heat.

At any rate, I think I'll actually go to bed now. I'm hoping to wake up at a decent hour and just camp out in the library until I feel somewhat prepared for my Tuesday exam. I'm hoping that I can get that done reasonably quickly so I can resume the utterly idiotic plan of finishing the third season of Doctor Who before this semester is over.

0 comments: