Monday, April 23, 2012

3kcbwday1 : Color Lovers

Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.



My interest in color has always sided with the... obnoxious spectrum. In elementary school, I'd dress in completely garish combinations: purple turtlenecks with kelly green leggings, pink plaid skirt and vest combos, etc. In middle school, I abandoned the ridiculous clothes for entirely too much eyeliner and brightly colored shadow. In high school, I hopped on the neon skinny jeans trend and wore the heck out of the array of brightly colored pants topped by my various club shirts.

IMGP0988

While my clothing style certainly has developed past that point (I wear dresses almost exclusively), my obsession with color hasn't faded. While I don't wear quite as many neon pants (mostly, because I've gained too much weight to fit comfortably in them any more!), I still sneak in the saturated colors whenever I can- including in my still obnoxious eyeshadow. Why limit the blue eyeshadow in the 80s? Even beyond that, My obsession with highlighter shades has been well documented recently.

With that thought in mind, I looked through my various projects expecting to see a full array of bright, thoroughly saturated projects. Consequentially, I was a bit surprised to note there really isn't too much of a color trend with my projects. I don't seem to shy away from *any* color- except white and black. I've even knit with the dreaded burnt orange that makes my flesh crawl. (Dear mom, why are you obsessed with the color that my university's rival touts?). Still determined to find a pattern, I finally wound up collecting up my "nice" yarn and trying to find a theme.

IMG_2806

Still not seeing it. For every brightly colored beauty, there's an an equally stunning muted skein. For every cool color, there's a matching warm ball. The only colors I see missing are black, white, grey and purple, which can be explained away, as I usually actually wear those colors, rather than accessorize with them!

In short, my brief forays into assigning a colorwheel to my knitting has only served to remind me that I adore all colors (except burnt orange), and that definitely shines through in my knitting.

0 comments: