Friday, April 27, 2012

3KCBWDAY4 : Summer knitting, happened so faaaast

A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons? As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?

IMG_2814

I can't say I've ever been particularly practical when it comes to seasonality of clothes. I can remember many a heated fight with my mother about putting on my winter coat, or changing out my jeans before I got heatstroke. When I was in high school, what I wore hardly varied- the dress code was strict, and they kept the building in arctic temperatures anyway that my uniform quickly became pants and an over-sized sweatshirt. Couple that with living in a very temperate climate, and I don't think I looked at the weather once.

When I started college, things were a bit different. For once, administrators weren't hell bent on turning you into a Popsicle. No one cared if you were wearing less than two inch wide straps. I could wear skirts without having to argue with the subjective length rules. Granted, I very quickly realized that wearing skirts prompted the Marylin Monroe pose more often than not, and that it actually snows in Oklahoma- nothing compared to other areas, but more than Texas! Needless to say, I learned to glance at the weather website before walking outside.

Even still, I only own one semi-decent winter coat. I ran around all December in sleeveless dresses. I inevitably wind up wearing my peep toe shoes when it's supposed to rain, and when the tornado touched down in Norman a few weeks ago, I sitting in my third floor apartment. My knitting follows a similarly impractical theme. I have more scarves and fingerless mitts than I would ever need living in the DFW area.

In terms of my actual timing when knitting, the only pattern I seem to follow is that I work on more on project that require more attention during the summer- I have more time to spend sitting in front of a pattern. Most of my toy and lace projects get churned out then. During the fall and spring, I seem to focus on primarily autopilot knitting.  Hello scarves and garter stitch shawls!



Although, there's always an exception. As per usual, I found that as finals approach, I find myself collecting more and more distractions. Like a fancy schmancy lace shawl, a Lord of the Rings Marathon, or a non-stop viewing of every episode of the Closer.



IMG_2816

Oops.

(Also, I know this is late. I fell asleep yesterday before actually publishing it. Whoops!

0 comments: