Monday, March 28, 2011

2KCBWDAY1 : One Skein, Two Skein, Manos Skein, Blue Skein!

We interrupt your regularly scheduled hamster update for Knitting and Crochet Blog Week!

blog

Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

The first yarn I chose was Manos Del Uruguay Maxima. I bought this yarn over Christmas break last year, while the Woolie Ewe was having it's annual year end sale. When I initially went, I tried to deny myself the loveliness of this yarn, but I eventually went back that day with my SO to pick it up. I had only ever knit Manos Silk Blend before, and absolutely loved it. Since this was a similar colorway to that, I figured hey, what could go wrong?

manos

This looks like clown barf knit up. That's what could go wrong.

Jeeze, it's bad. My first attempt at knitting it was the Honey Cowl. I knit a good three inches of it while Monkey and I were attempting to drive to Midwest City to get his uniform altered. Attempting, because he is incapable of listening to my directions and managed to make what should have been an half hour drive stretch out to an hour and a half. By the time I got out of the car, I was resigned to the frogging fate. Which, honestly, really torqued me. I still am obsessed with this cowl, but I'm going to wait until I get my hands on a semi-solid yarn to knit it.

Next, I opted for simple, but previously attempted. I found Mara, complete with a project on Ravelry that was in the same colorway, but with a suspiciously bad picture. It was difficult to see how the colors looked because of the lighting. Still, I thought, Mara has been in my queue for approximately a hundred years, it's so simple, it'll go great!

Again. Clown barf.

Finally, I gave up. I put the yarn on the shelf and decided that maybe, what it need is to be knit against a contrast color. I'm planning on knitting a Prism Wrap with it, once I get a white or off-white yarn to knit it up against. If it still looks like clown barf... Well, let's just say it will be put in the time out box for a while. (Have I mentioned I have not one but TWO balls of this stuff?)

rhss

The second yarn I'm writing about is Red Heart Super Saver. This is a yarn that really polarizes knitters, and I can understand both sides of the coin. Not only is it cheap, readily available, and in plenty of colors, but it is also scratchy, squeaky, and just generally not the greatest quality. I've heard rumors that it softens up tremendously in the wash, but the one scarf I've knit for myself out of it didn't managed to get much softer.

I've knit a fair share of projects out of RHSS, but I've come to one ultimate conclusion. This yarn is made for toys, and really, that's all I really intend to knit with it anymore. Currently, I'm knitting up a cat for my baby sister for Easter. No project link this time before for once, I'm doing it on my own. The color combination isn't exactly my favorite, but hopefully my sister will like it.

0 comments: