Saturday, September 17, 2011

Root Beer Cupcakes Part Deux

cupcake saturday

Okay, first a warning- the next few sets of cupcake photos aren't going to be as pretty as usual. They were taken quite a few days after I first made the cupcakes.


IMG_2199

I made these for my sister's birthday party. She requested an oreo cake. Let's just say she didn't get it. I've made the oreo cake quite a few times before, and it's a pain in the butt, to say the least. It involves three layers cut into two with filling between, whipped cream frosting and mashed oreos pressed all around. Thoroughly messy and time consuming. Instead, I decided to use that recipe and turn it into cupcakes. Since not everyone likes chocolate... Okay, since I don't like chocolate, I wanted to give the girls an alternative.

I've actually talked about the frosting on these before- they're root beer float frosting. Yum.

(Side note, I found the blog of the woman who created most of the recipes I've used on tasty kitchen- How Sweet Eats. Everything looks delicious!)

At any rate, since I sufficiently tweaked the recipe, I feel okay about posting my version of it, especially since now I've read the author's opinion on it. The cake was a just a regular vanilla cake mix (one of those with the pudding in it) and a splash of root beer float extract. Overall, the verdict was that it was so much better with vanilla cake.

Root Beer Float Frosting
Adapted from How Sweet Eats


3 sticks butter, softened
8 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon root beer extract

Cream the butter until smooth. Then slowly add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and try not to make it go all of the kitchen and/or mixer.

I have yet to master that skill.

Add milk, root beer extract, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Fill a frosting bag and using the tip, poke into the center of the cupcake and fill each. Finally, frost the whole shebang and try not to eat all of the cupcakes before guests arrive.

I should note, I always double frosting recipes. I *always* run out. Don't ask me why, but I do. I guess I'm just a frosting kind of girl. So if you're not a complete sugar addict like me, you might want to half it.

0 comments: