Thursday, September 1, 2011

Good Omens

book review thursday



book review thursday I wanted to like this book, I really did. I've read Terry Pratchett before- only the book Going Postal, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also have read a few blog posts by Neil Gaiman. I've thoroughly enjoyed both.

Good Omens, however, I'm just not so sure about. I don't know if it was because I was listening to it, or because had so many story lines roaming at once, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought it would. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it- in fact, I really did. I loved the humor in it. I loved listening to Crowley and Aziraphale. I even loved Anathema Device and Newt. But every time the book veered toward Adam the Antichrist, I lost interest. I think it's because the other characters were so interesting, so engaging, that I didn't want to leave them. Adam and the Them dragged on in their frivolous childhood. It just felt rather out of place. And humorless.

Overall, I think I'll definitely be reading this again. It's one of those books that I think would be great a rainy day. I want to curl up in an arm chair with a warm cup of tea or soup and spend the whole afternoon in that universe. This is definitely a book I'd recommend, and I really think I'll enjoy it more as I reread it. As soon as I get an e-reader, this book is going to be at the top of the list. (Also, I want to be Crowley and Aziraphale's bff. I'm just sayin').

(5/5 stars)

0 comments: