Monday, March 19, 2012

Bangles galore

make something monday

IMG_2790

I'm so excited about this project. I know a lot of people have been making friendship bracelets since they were little, but it was just nothing I had ever tried before. For a while when I was in middle school, my best friend at the time and I made knotted versions with embroidery thread, but it was nowhere near as "complicated" as this. My mom received all together too many of those kind, as they took about five seconds to finish. When I first started spotting the chevron bracelets on pinterest, I was instantly hooked. I adore the look of tons of bracelets all jumbled together- and I'm not a bracelet kind of girl! However, after suffering through the first set of instructions, I was left with a gnarled mess of embroidery floss. Let's just say, I wasn't pleased.

After a bit of googling, I finally found Zakka Life's tutorial and it became instantly clear where I was messing up. Somehow, I had gotten it into my head that you were supposed to tie each strand together, rather than carrying the outside strand to the inside. When I switched to yarn, it was immediately obvious where I was going wrong. Plus, it went a lot faster.

IMG_2792

I absolutely love my bracelet. I made it out of Sugar & Cream/Peaches and Creme yarn, so it's going to stretch out over time (it's already a bit loose). I think when it gets to the point where it's difficult to wear, I'll probably throw it on as an anklet. I switched the knot at the end because unfortunately, I didn't cut enough yarn. Instead of braiding two braids, I braided one, and then triple knotted it so that it's held loosely in the loop (wow, that's a fun one to say). That way, it stays secure while I'm wearing it, but if need be, I can unhook it easily.

I seriously love this. I can tell that soon enough, I'm going to arms absolutely covered in bracelets. I'm resisting the urge right now to run out buy ALL THE YARN. Okay, that may be my normal inclination, but I don't normally rush out for yarn best suited for dishcloths!

0 comments: