Saturday, March 17, 2012

Belated Birthday

cupcake saturday

I am a bad roommate. A very, very bad roommate. I missed by roommate's birthday by a week. Oops. After begging for forgiveness and blaming Monkey, I asked her what kind of cupcakes she wanted. Being the wonderfully agreeable person she was, she told me she didn't care. After the brilliant success of my last caramel frosting, and the impending doom of several chocolate cupcakes for Monkey's birthday, I decided to make some caramel cupcakes. Unfortunately, I didn't have any satisfactory recipes bookmarked already, so after a quick google search, I came up with a recipe for brown sugar cupcakes with salted caramel filling and frosting.

IMG_2743

Hellloooo delicious.

Unlike the last recipe, this one didn't go the lazy way out and use caramel straight from the squeezey bottle. This one used real caramel. And made a horrible mess in my pot, but it was definitely worth it. The frosting was amazing. The filling was amazing. I had a great deal of fun using the leftover caramel filling in my coffee.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my skinny tips, so I had to scoop out the top and fill it that way... which meant I ate the tops of approximately 20 cupcakes. Yummm.

IMG_2744

I think the most exciting part about these cupcakes is that I got to use some of my thousand cupcake liners that I went overboard with. A few weeks ago, somebody let me loose in Michael's and I went a bit overboard. I now have a giant bag of cupcake liners- a good thing too, since I devoted an entire day of the week to them! Though, I think when I run out of cupcake mojo, I may change the title to "Sweet Sunday" or something similar.

IMG_2745

Anyways, this recipe was delicious. A lot of work for sure, but the result was worth it. I think I prefer the lazy caramel frosting to this one, even though this was extremely delicious. The cake was heavenly- just interesting enough to not be boring, and not overwhelming with the frosting and filling. Yummy all around!

0 comments: