Saturday, March 31, 2012

Camo Corona

cupcake saturday

These are another winner from Monkey's birthday. He turned 21, so I decided to be thematically appropriate. Thus the slew of boozey cakes. This one is a Corona and lime cupcake, which gave me pause when I first came across the recipe.

I'm not a fan of beer- I associate the smell with urine and from what I've tasted, that isn't great either. I was a little apprehensive about these cupcakes consequentially. The fact that there was no alcohol in the icing helped alleviate my fears a bit. I told myself that the alcohol wouldn't provide much flavor- it would just be a moisture vessel.

I was wrong.

IMG_2782

You could taste the beer, but it wasn't bad at all. The taste was subtle enough, and the lime frosting was strong enough to make it an absolutely delicious cupcake. I had mine a few days later after it had been chilling in the fridge, so it wasn't at its prime moisture level, but it was still really, really good. Like, so good I wanted to gobble every single one of them. Since Monkey is all

The real winner for me was the frosting, which I just wanted to gobble up. I'm going to substitute in lemon next time and pair it with a nice creamy lemon cake for a treat. I'm sure it will be more than delicious.

I tried something new with my frosting (again!). I'm not sure how well it turned out, as I have difficulty achieving dark enough colors with the food coloring I use (either stuff from the bottle or Wiltons); it's a trial and error deal I think. I'm always afraid I'm going to wind up with the taste affected if I use too much! I tried to make the frosting match the camo colored wrappers, and I think I did a pretty good job. I was rather disappointed that I couldn't find "proper" army camo liners, but I think these did the job perfectly fine. After all, cupcakes are for stuffing your face with, not for staring at!

0 comments: