Thursday, August 11, 2011

Audio what?

I've got another theme to announce! This time not only am I announcing it the day of, but I also actually have something to write about. So, without further ado...

book review thursday



Okay, so I don't actually have a book to review- yet. My reading has been more than lacking since I started knitting. Before I started knitting, I'd churn out books like no other. I remember when I was a kid, my parents would take me to the mall to pick up new books- usually Nancy Drews or some sort of magical themed book by Edward Eager, Diana Wynn Jones, or the like. I'd finish them before the night was out, and make my parents want to strangle me.

At any rate, when I got my first iPod, I discovered podcasts. From there, I found audiobooks. I had a hard time finding them, however. I was listening to either free ones through various sites, or illegal ones through nefarious ones. (I've been steering clear of those for the past few years, however). It was more than a little shock to find out how much some of the audiobooks actually cost in store.

So, as an alternative, I discovered overdrive. I didn't know much about it, and let it linger in the back of my mind for almost a year before I finally took action. Not only does my hometown have a membership, but so does essentially ever town remotely near me that I can get a free card to, including Monkey's home town. Granted, they share the same files, so it's not as if that's a real benefit, but still. (Theoretically, I think I could get cards from each library and download a ridiculous amount, but that's not on my agenda). Wednesday, I finally got my butt down to the local library and picked up a card...

And promptly discovered all the books I could think of that I wanted to read either weren't listed or had a wait list. Whoops. I did luck out with The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, and I've been happily listening away. My actual review will hopefully come out next week.

And now, I have to say, I have had an extremely exhausting day, and I think it would be a good idea for me to go to bed.

0 comments: