Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chocolate Oranges!

cupcake saturday

So last week, I talked about the big oops that happened with my orange cake and orange frosting. I mentioned that I did manage to save the butter and orange flavoring. After some fast thinking, I decided that rather than toss the butter, I would go ahead and make icing. A family friend's birthday was in a week, and the icing could chill out in the freezer until then.

IMG_2950

Since the family friend loves chocolate, a plain orange frosting just wouldn't do. After doing the requisite powdered sugar/orange flavor/butter/milk combo, I added some cocoa until I deemed it chocolatey enough. I was hoping to find some of Terry's Chocolate Oranges but a quick Walmart  trip yielded no results. Instead, I bought some gummy oranges for toppers and deemed it good enough.

IMG_2951

I used my favorite doctored chocolate cake mix recipe for the cake, and was good to go! These were amazing- not your average chocolate cake at all!






Chocolate Orange Buttercream Frosting




  • 1 cup softened butter

  • 4 cups powdered sugar

  • 1 tablespoon orange extract

  • 2-3 tablespoons milk

  • 1/3-1/2 cup cocoa

Beat butter and orange extract until pale and fluffy, then slowly add in powdered sugar and cocoa. Add milk one tablespoon at a time, until you achieve desired consistency.





0 comments: