Saturday, June 30, 2012

You put the lime in the strawberry and bake it all up

cupcake saturday

You may now commence the drooling.


A few weeks ago, I was rather, well "inspired" by the idea of lime cupcakes with strawberry icing and strawberry cupcakes with lime frosting. I'm not sure what exactly brought that thought on, but I knew it had to be done. I had queued up this recipe for key lime cupcakes ages ago, but I wasn't about to go out and bother trying to find key lime juice, or heaven forbid, juice the lime myself. Especially because the last time I was sent on an emergency Kroger run, I was told we needed  four ounces of lime juice which I somehow managed to mangle to four containers for the margarita machine.

I don't think we're ever going to run out of lime juice. You know what that means? It means I should make more guacamole, that's what.

IMG_3037Anyways, so I used regular old lime juice for these cupcakes, and used my favorite strawberry frosting recipe for the adorable cupcakes. To top it off, because I can't leave anything well enough alone, I dumped some lime zest on top, and then proceeded to have to tell all of the little kids who came for cupcakes that no, I didn't put vegetables on their cupcakes and they wouldn't be able to taste it.

The verdict? Apart from the mistake when it came to kid-friendly lime zest? Meh. I'm not a huge lime fan (don't ask me why I keep making desserts I'm not in love with), but I still gobbled up a fair amount of cupcakes. The recipe made a ridiculous amount, and they were sufficiently moist and delicious. Paired with the strawberry frosting, they were amazing!

 Still, I think I'll keep looking for my perfect lime cupcake recipe. That, or I'll stick to lime-bars. Either way. I really, really wish I had used some neon green food coloring. I know it wouldn't have affected the taste, but I think I would have enjoyed these cupcakes more then!

And since I can't mention the word "lime" without the Muppets getting stuck in my head... I seriously wish this was my ringtone for my phone. I might actually remember to answer it if it were!



0 comments: