Saturday, June 9, 2012

How the cake crumbles...

cupcake saturday

I have already mentioned my delicious orange cupcakes in all of their splendor, so I'm not going to go into detail about that today. We had a impromptu cookout for Memorial Weekend, and I decided to do something a bit different. I didn't want to worry about a new (or complicated, for that matter) recipe, so I opted to try the orange cupcakes in the form of a cake this time. I was going to make an orange buttercream and frost the hell out of it. I've never actually made a decent looking cake (they've all turned out, well, rather terrifying), so I wanted to try my hand out on it. Plus I thought it might be quicker than dealing with ten million cupcakes.

After the cake got to the desired doneness, I pulled it out of the oven and BAM. Disaster. Even though I waited until they were cool, greased the hell out of the pan, and was super careful to boot, the cake absolutely dissolved when I tried to get them out of the two pans. Honestly, it pissed me off more than anything else. I've never had this problem before!

Okay, once, last year for my Dad's birthday. But it was because I was using a pan for mini bundt cakes and my mom had already deemed the pan unusable. And in that case, the cake didn't crumble, it just wouldn't come out in one piece. And it was totally the pan's fault.

Instead of crying over crumbled cake, my mom and I improvised. I sent her off to the store to get some cool whip (it solves all problems), while I pulled out the parfait glasses and began to shove cake in them. The actual dinner wasn't going to be for a few hours, so they got to chill, looking rather terrifying in the meantime. I popped in a batch of Oatmeal Craisin Cookies to  make up for my culinary failure, and then I turned to the frosting.

IMG_2933

I had already plopped the butter and orange extract into the mixer (I let the butter sit in the mixer until the cupcakes are cool, otherwise I wind up having to nuke it in the microwave and wind up melting three sticks of butter before I finally get one properly softened), so I was afraid it was a lost cause. I knew that frosting would be too heavy for a parfait, so I resigned myself to just making the frosting and freezing it- until I had a fabulous idea.

PSYCH. I'm leaving this on cliffhanger. I'll tell you how I managed to save the frosting next week.

0 comments: