Saturday, July 28, 2012

50th Anniversary Cupcakes


cupcake saturday

A very dear couple to me (my adopted grandparents!) just celebrated their 50th anniversary. Could you imagine being married 50 years? They got married when they were both super young, and their still touring the country and kicking it. 

IMG_3078

Mema*loves*chocolate, and because of some seriously picky eaters that would also be consuming the chocolate, I figured I would go with a standard chocolate/caramel combination. I used my favorite chocolate doctored cake mix recipe, of course. I seriously need to start investigating something new in the chocolate universe. 

I also used a frosting recipe I had tried before- just a basic caramel frosting. Nothing fancy. It didn't turn out as amazingly delicious as it did the first time, but once I smothered it in chocolate and caramel syrup, it tasted pretty darn good.

As a finishing touch, I decided to make some decorations in the form of chocolate. I basically tempered chocolate over a double boiler, then filled a frosting bag with a fine tip and doodled away! A little time in the freezer hardened them up, and they were ready to go! Unfortunately, I had a ton of chocolate left over, so it's going to be languishing in my fridge for a while. I'll probably wind up breaking off chunks and throwing them in cookies, or something.

All in all, pretty darn good cupcakes to celebrate a pretty darn good marriage!

0 comments: