Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bump! Set! Spike!

 cupcake saturday


Last week, I talked about my obsession with lime cupcakes with strawberry icing. Because I can't leave well enough alone, I made strawberry cupcakes as well. Someone talked me out of lime frosting because apparently some people don't like fruity frosting.

Weirdos.

Instead, I opted for my basic buttercream. After debating the idea of green frosting, I decided that since the cupcakes were in honor of one of my parents' volleyball parties, they ought to be thematically linked.

Hence the slightly terrifying volleyball.

IMG_3035

I've discovered that it is much, much easier (and prettier) to frost using tips and bags than to try to make a smooth surface. Not to mention, I'm not very good at piping a picture, even if it is a picture made up entirely of curved lines. I got quite a few questions as to what they were suppose to be

. I don't think I could quite get a job at Sprinkle with that skill level. The black was just the vanilla buttercream with black food coloring dumped in, piped through a teeny frosting tip. Eventually, I realized that it would have been a lot easier if I had made chocolate frosting and made that black, rather than go from a white base. Derp. Again, this is why I'm not a professional.

I wanted to use the strawberry cake recipe from my mom's birthday, but Apron of Grace website seems to have gone defunct. Instead, I googled and found an "adaptation". Because I had never saved the recipe, I don't know how different it is from the original Apron of Grace. The cupcakes were deliciously moist and properly strawberry flavored, though I do still wish I had tried it with lime frosting!

0 comments: